A Main Line Jewel
Just as the town of Bryn Mawr was named after the original homestead “Bryn Mawr” (now called Harriton Farm), Rosemont’s name originated from the eponymous farm, the land of Rees Thomas, who emigrated to America in 1683 with early Welsh settlers. Originally the property included 625 acres and extended to County Line Road and east to Roberts Road and North to Old Gulph Road. (And would have abutted the original Harriton Farm). Both Montgomery Avenue and Airdale Road were constructed through the property.
Often referred to by many to be one of the crown jewels of Lower Merion, Ashbridge park offers 29 acres of parkland surrounding a classically built fieldstone farmhouse. Built by Rees Thomas III and his father, William, there is a datestone on the home inscribed Wm and Rees with the letters E and P to include their wives, Elizabeth and Priscilla with the date: 1769.
In 1850 Peter Pechin purchased the property after it had been reduced in size and then left Rosemont Farm to Rebecca Emily Pechin who later married Joshua Ashbridge a neighbor who already owned 40 adjoining acres to the south.
In 1863, Joshua gave land for a passenger station to the Pennsylvania Railroad to be named Rosemont. Rosemont was originally a flag stop for the railroad until the station was built.
Rebecca and Joshua Ashbridge’s three daughters inherited the property in 1891. The sisters ran a dairy on the property, selling milk until milk controls were enacted in 1922.
As per the plan of the three Ashbridge sisters, with the death of the third sister in 1940 the farm was left to Lower Merion Township to be used for “passive” recreation. The stable and barn were used the township’s equipment. The grounds include a number of specimen trees that the Ashbridge family intended to serve as living memorials to World War I soldiers from the community. Honoring the wishes of donors, tennis is not permitted on Sundays.
In 2002, a joint project between the township, the Lower Merion Conservancy and Bryn Mawr College led to the first stream restoration in the township wherein bags of concrete which were holding the banks were replaced with large stones and water loving trees and plantings.
Ashbridge Park includes:
A picnic area
1/2 mile walking trail
Improvements in 2014 a much enjoyed playground for kids of all ages.
Tennis courts (2)
Ashbridge Memorial Park
1301 W Montgomery Avenue, Rosemont, PA 19010
(Montgomery Avenue & Airdale Road)